Trees are an investment, requiring watering, trimming, and care to help them reach maturity. With this in mind, you may wonder if you should stick to rocks and mulch in your yard or if you should plant a tree. Whether your goal is to improve comfort and beauty or help wildlife and the environment, trees belong on your Arizona property. Here’s why.
- Shade your yard and home: In Arizona’s desert climate, shade from trees can make a big difference. Position your trees on the south and west sides of your home to improve comfort and lower your energy bills. Line the street in front of your house with trees so guests can park in the shade. Add a tree near your patio to create a shaded place to relax. The possibilities are endless!
- Create a barrier: Whether you want to muffle sound, block wind, or add privacy, trees are a natural way to accomplish your goals.
- Add wildlife habitat: Birds, squirrels, insects, and other animals depend on trees for food, shelter, and nests. Do your part for the native Arizona wildlife by planting a tree.
- Improve air quality: Trees absorb carbon dioxide and release oxygen into the air. They also filter out particulates that cause poor outdoor air quality. The more trees people plant, the cleaner the air will become!
- Generate visual interest: Trees can be the anchor of your landscape design. They tower above the shrubs, flowers, and grasses that comprise the rest of your yard, serving as a beautiful focal point. Select your trees based on their mature height, foliage type, bloom time, colors, and other factors that help them complement the overall design of your garden.
- Save water: Yes, trees need more water than the inorganic aspects of your yard, but if you choose the right species, trees can actually help conserve water in your landscape. The trick is to plant native, water-wise desert trees that require minimal supplementary watering. The resulting shade cools your yard and lowers the watering requirements of other plants. Tree root systems also help reduce runoff and erosion for a healthier ecosystem.
- Produce fruit or nuts: Trees can also be productive for you and your family by producing edible fruit or nuts. Harvest these for snacking and cooking, or let wildlife enjoy them. Either way, you win.
Moon Valley Nurseries is committed to positively impacting the people and communities we serve. Sustainability is our top priority, and our trees are powerful tools in helping us be good environmental stewards.
As part of developing our sustainability roadmap, we published our inaugural 2021 Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) report in July 2022. We plan to continue publishing reports in the coming years as we work toward reducing the carbon footprint associated with growing, selling, transporting, and planting trees and shrubs in Arizona. If you’re ready to help fight climate change by planting a tree on your property, please contact Moon Valley Nurseries online or visit one of our Arizona locations today.
Submit a Comment