In the summer, do you daydream of a yard with beautiful trees? Whether you want to relax in the shade or enjoy abundant blooms, there’s something special about trees that thrive in the hot summer sun. It’s best not to plant them in the summertime, though. If they’re grown in plastic pots, they may do fine, as their root systems are healthy and aren’t likely to experience transplant shock. If you do decide to plant trees in the summer, make sure to give them plenty of water to ease their transition. A better bet, though, is to wait until the cooler weather comes in the fall. In the meantime, here are some daydream-worthy trees that you’ll thoroughly enjoy in summers to come.
- Acacia: These exotic trees thrive in the heat and provide plenty of shade. They also produce beautiful little blooms in the spring and colorful foliage in the fall.
- Ash: These trees are low maintenance and can get quite large, growing to 80 feet in height. If you’ve got the space for this sprawling tree, you’ll enjoy the shade all summer long.
- Cedar: If you associate evergreen cedars with snowy climes, it might surprise you to know that they do quite well in the heat.
- Crape Myrtle: This southern beauty thrives in full sun. You can plant it in late summer, and the more sun it gets, the more bright blossoms it will produce.
- Eucalyptus: These fast growers will persist through heat and drought, and they produce fragrant leaves you can cut and enjoy without damaging the tree.
- Juniper: Evergreen and heat tolerant, junipers are very versatile. They need well-draining soil so that they can hold enough moisture to thrive.
- Oak: These trees establish quickly, and they’re very hardy.
- Pine: The scent of pine trees is warm and comforting, and they’re hardy enough to thrive in the summer sun.
- Jacaranda: If you’re looking for breathtaking blooms in the summer, this tree is perfect for you. In addition to beautiful flowers in the summer, the jacaranda has ferny foliage that makes it a good shade tree.
- Chaste (Vitex): These trees have twisting trunks, a layered canopy, and long spikes of purple blooms. You’ll enjoy the show during spring and summer, and so will hummingbirds and insect pollinators. Best of all, it’s a low-maintenance option.
If you’re looking for the perfect trees for your landscaping, head to Moon Valley Nurseries. Moon Valley Nurseries started as a small neighborhood nursery, and now has locations all across the West. We deliver and plant anything in our massive inventory, and because we grow our plants ourselves, we can give our customers the lowest prices in town, guaranteed. Contact us through our website, call us at (602) 388-1529, or stop by to check out all we have to offer.