Garrett Cleverly is versed in all native and non native species of plants, trees, succulents, and cacti that grow throughout the southern region. Garrett has a love for gardening and all things outdoors.
When did July get here? It seems like just last week we were tending to our nurseries in perfect spring weather. Whether or not we want to accept the reality that we're smack dab in the middle of the summer, we do need to accept the fact that as the temperature increases so does the maintenance we need to perform on our yards.
This includes proper water, what to plan, pruning, fertilizing, and more. Our nursery pros put together this list to help your landscape prepare and thrive in our summer this year.
To Do List:
- Watering: Some areas in our region will see triple digits this weekend. Yes, summer is here. But don't worry. Following our nursery pros recommendations your landscape can still look green and vibrant all summer long. Common questions like "how much water do I use" and "how often do I water" are all answered here in our Best Watering Practices.
- Fertilize: As we mentioned above, June is a tough month for the material on your landscape as it transitions to the warmer days. Give the material on your landscape and your lawn a boost with specialized fertilizers like our fast acting Moon Royale Professional Turf Fertilizer. In most cases, you will see results in just four days, and it gets stronger as it goes to work greening up your lawn. Our Super Charged Moon Juice and Super Palm Juice which are designed to trigger growth responses and supplement the essential micro and macro nutrients that plants need to thrive in our climate.
- Protect The Trunk Of Your Trees: Trees, just like us, can also get sunburn. However, the bottle of sunscreen isn't going to be enough. Young trees, especially citrus, need protection from the sun when temperatures increase. You can protect the trunk of a new tree from sunburn with Protective Tree Wrap. Available at any Moon Valley Nursery location. To further protect your tree, young or old, you can stake them. This provides stability when high winds come in. Moon Valley Nursery also offers staking services as well. Click here to map a location near you.
- Weeds: Stick to your weeding plan. Continue to do it often. Moon Valley Nursery stocks all of the things you will need for your weed prevention plan at our locations.
- Mulch: With temperatures increasing , mulching is going to be extremely important for the next few months. Mulch any area where the sun is shining directly on the dirt. The mulch allows the roots to keep cool and moist. Moon Valley Nurseries has a great selection of mulch to choose from.
Ficus are our #1 selling tree and a favorite to use as a formal landscape hedge. Many of our customers plant these along property lines as barriers for blocking sun, noise, wind, and views; as well as letting the exceptional beauty stand out on any property. The foliage of the Ficus are very hardy and can be trimmed into topiary like shapes while handling the summer heat. The foliage is thick and it can provide some excellent privacy. *not available in Las Vegas.
Museum Palo Verde
If you're looking for the "WOW" factor look no further than the Museum Palo Verde. It’s spreading, open canopy of shade is supported by blue-green, sculpture like trunks that provide a stark contrast to just about any landscape. In the spring, breathtaking yellow flowers emerge and cover the entire tree. The Museum Palo Verde’s layered shade makes the tree look light in your yard while providing very cooling shade for your home.
Looking to add classic beauty with tons of variety to your landscape this spring? Look no further than the always popular Magnolia. A symbol of the South, the Magnolia is an eye-catching tree with its striking foliage, spreading and large canopy, creamy white fragrant blooms, and elegant evergreen appearance. The Magnolia is mostly known for its showy white blossoms and beautiful fragrant smell that comes with them. Magnolias are easy to grow and they thrive in our long summers.
The Tipu is the perfect summer shade tree. It is a water wise variety that has become popular among landscape professionals and homeowners for its rapid growth and showy apricot yellow flowers during the summer. This semi-evergreen grows extremely fast and is great at quickly creating massive canopies of shade to cool your home, shade a patio or protect the other plants in your yard. It also requires little maintenance as it does extremely well in many soil and drought-like conditions.
A classic looking "Legacy Type" tree, the Shamel Ash, also known as the ‘Evergreen Ash’, is a great solution for just about any landscape that needs a large, fast-growing shade tree. Capable of reaching great heights, the classic, larger-leaved, green foliage is attractive and compliments just about any landscape. It creates a massive canopy of shade and is a great climbing tree or even one to hang a swing off of!
The Crape Myrtle has something to offer for every season but stands out in late spring to summer when it begins producing stunning blooms of purple, pink, red, and white flowers that are pleasing to the eye when planted in clusters or accent locations. The Crape Myrtle is known for its long and constant bloom cycle and works well in just about any landscape. In the fall, the Crape Myrtle’s foliage turn to a showy bright orange.
Widely used throughout the Southern U.S. for more than 100 years, the Tru-Green Elm is a beautiful tree and one that has become a very popular choice for our customers-Green Elm is a beautiful tree and one that has become a very popular choice for our customers due to its dark green foliage on its umbrella shaped canopy. A great canopy of shade can come form rather quickly with these trees. The True-Green Elm thrives in hot and sunny environments and in very mild winters, they can retain their leaves.
Fruit and Citrus
Our climate is ideal for planting fruit and citrus trees and some of the best and easiest to grow are orange, lemon, grapefruit, peach, nectarine, and apple. All of the citrus and fruit trees we sell have been adapted to our climate. There are a lot of benefits to growing your own homegrown food. The fruit and citrus taste better, no pesticides, scented citrus blossoms, shade, and you don’t have to leave your house for fruit or citrus.
Mexican Fan Palm
A classic resort style palm tree, the Mexican Fan Palm features a single trunk and is desired for its ease of growth. It can handle cold weather and thrives in the sun. Our cigar-cut Mexican Fan Palms give a smooth texture around the trunk that highlights the deep green and unique colors of this palm tree. Mexican Fan Palms are a stately addition to any landscape, and mix well with both large and pygmy sized palm trees. We carry all sizes from the small starter palms to the giant, instant resort palms for any desired landscape appearance.
Piru Queen Palm
Queen palms are the height of tropical beauty and appeal in just about any landscape. Big Tex Tree's’ Piru Queen Palm variety is custom grown to be the benchmark for both durability and appearance for tougher growing climates. Grown from specific Argentine seedlings with superior genetic traits, Piru Queen Palms feature wider trunks, thicker crowns, and greener fronds then other queen palms. Our Piru Queen Palms are exposed to hot summers, cold winters, and dry climates to promote drought tolerance and water retention. The result of these growing conditions produces a palm that is better conditioned to extreme weather cycles, frost periods, and drought situations.