Moon Valley Nurseries
We're all looking for ways to beautify our properties, whether we want to elevate our home's curb appeal or make our storefront more enticing to potential customers. Whatever the case for you, Moon Valley Nurseries is here to help. We carry a wide variety of trees and shrubs, as well as plenty of perennial plants for rock gardens. Be sure to stop by one of our many locations in Arizona to learn more about which plants will thrive in a picturesque rock garden. We're happy to point you to the specific plants you're looking for, or we can help you brainstorm ideas for your garden.
Why a Rock Garden Is an Excellent Choice
Rock gardens are a popular choice in the American South. They're quite practical for hot climates and don't require lots of added maintenance. What's more, you'll rarely, if ever, need to deadhead the plants in your rock garden. If you choose the right plants and perennials for your rock garden, poor soil and little rainfall won't stop them from blooming. Other benefits of rock gardens include:
- Covers an uneven or unsightly landscape
- Can be used as a space to relax
- Eco-friendly and sustainable without excess water
What Kinds of Plants Work Best in a Rock Garden?
Fortunately, you have lots of options as you create your rock garden. At Moon Valley Nurseries, you'll find a wide selection, including flowering plants for rock gardens and much more. Below, you'll find some of our favorite flowers, plants, and shrubs to make your rock garden pop.
- Prickly Pear: Cacti are a staple of any Southwestern garden. A prickly pear cactus is a popular way to add a touch of the desert to your garden. Not only do they stand up against drought conditions, but they also produce fruit despite the dry climate.
- Ice Plant: Based on the name alone, you'd think that ice plants wouldn't thrive in sweltering temperatures. Nevertheless, this purple flower loves the sun and makes an excellent ground cover. Keep in mind that an ice plant requires good drainage.
- Lavender: Lavender is popular in many areas of the country, but it grows especially well in full sun and average soil. You might even choose to plant a lavender hedge to maximize on these gorgeous violet flowers.
- Purple Lantana: These tiny purple flowers make a lovely ground cover for any rock garden. Lantana provides a beautiful backdrop for any rock garden!
- Hens and Chicks: If you love succulents, Hens and Chicks will thrive in your rock garden. They can grow in stone walls and between stepping stones with little moisture.
- Gopher Plant: Gopher Plant also called Silver Spurge is an upright growing small shrub that is a beautiful tint of blue-green that blooms a bright yellow bloom in late winter to early Spring.
- Purple Fountain Grass: Purple Fountain Grass is a perfect accent around rocks or in borders around just about any landscape. They grow great in pots as an addition to warm season annuals.
- Green Fountain Grass: Green Fountain grass is a showy, clumping grass often used as an accent around rock gardens or border areas. The pretty plumes will form seeds and they can become invasive in garden areas.
Follow These Maintenance Tips
Maintaining a healthy, lovely rock garden is simple. Most plants won't require too much maintenance, especially if you consciously choose blooms that don't tend to wilt in the summer sun. Although you won't be on the hook for lots of special care, keep the following maintenance tips in mind:
- Weed Regularly: Weeding is the only major maintenance task you'll need to do for your rock garden. We recommend thoroughly weeding the area before planting new flowers and constructing your rock garden. Doing a little extra work ahead of time can save you a headache later!
- Watering: Even the most drought-resistant plants will likely need watering once in a while. If the soil feels bone dry to the touch, your plants could probably use a drink. However, it's always a good idea to do your research into each shrub or flower and learn the specific watering needs of each.
Bounce Your Rock Garden Ideas Off Us
The team at Moon Valley Nurseries is happy to help you create the rock garden you've always envisioned. Our landscape professionals are here for you whether you know exactly what you want, or you're still in the brainstorming phase. We welcome our customers to speak with a team member and bounce their ideas off us. We can tell you which plants work best in a rock garden and will stand up to the American South's sweltering temperatures. Our team will point you to plants such as:
- Palm Trees
- Desert Trees
- Fruit Trees
- Ground Cover Plants for rock gardens
Whether you're in the market for ground cover plants or beautiful flowers, Moon Valley Nurseries can help. Our team loves working with Arizona homeowners and helping them create a luxurious rock garden. You'll find everything you're looking for at our nursery and then some! What's more, our professional team offers a wealth of knowledge and can give you advice on maintenance for your newly-bloomed plants. Contact us today to learn more about rock garden plant life.
Submit a Comment