Homegrown Fruit Trees Offer a Bounty of Rewards
Growing fruit and nut trees at home is a smart gardening solution. We have compiled five of the best reasons to plant fruit and nut trees in your backyard. Read below for more information.
- For the Healthiest, Tastiest, and Most Economical Fruit-Growing fruit at home is rewarding. We can plant and grow a variety of fruits and nuts the way we want to. In other words, we can plant fruits such as figs, peaches, persimmon, and pecans, and know exactly how and where they were grown. It is smart to know where your food comes from. And, unless you do your research, you have no clue what kind of chemicals were sprayed on your favorite fruit. Grow what you want without the use of pesticides and toast to healthier eating habits!
- For a Gorgeous Spring Show with Fragrance, too!-Before bearing fruit, these trees can produce beautiful showy flowers. As a bonus, many of these flower bouquets are scented so that they can fill the air with a pleasing aroma. The flower bouquet from a peach tree can add elegance and beauty to any landscape scene.
- Fruit and Nut Trees Can Create Shade-We know that the weather in Houston can get hot. Having a nice shade tree is something we all want in our yards. Fruit trees and nut trees have the bonus of creating shade, too. We recommend planting more than one tree so that you can have more shade coverage. Specimen size pecan trees provide plenty of shade! Plus, with proper planting around the home, these trees can help reduce the temperature inside hot rooms. Also, planting fruit trees is a great way to add a natural border or to create separate spaces in your yard.
- For an Incredible Variety and Flavors-Do you love to cook? Are you an adventurous chef that likes to try new flavors? One of the great things about growing fruit trees at home is that you have the option of experimenting with different types of fruit. You don’t have to be a "foodie" to enjoy the many different varieties and flavors available. Each variety has its own specific character. Nuts are an excellent addition to salads and who doesn’t love roasted nuts?!
- You Don’t Have to Leave the House-Driving to the supermarket is not exactly at the top of the fun list. Picking fruit and nuts straight off the tree is a joy for many reasons. You do not have to leave the comfort of your home to deal with traffic. Why deal with traffic if you do not have to! Plus, you might be able to save money by skipping the gas pump.
Backyard Fruit Trees for Our Area
Growing an edible garden in Houston requires careful planning. We need to find out what the best backyard fruit and nut trees are for our area. Knowing which fruit and nut trees grow best for our area ensures that we can enjoy the tastiest and juiciest fruits and nuts. Stone fruit trees are an excellent choice for our area, as are Pecan trees. In fact, the Pecan tree is the state tree of Texas! We will want to speak with a professional landscape specialist to figure out the best backyard fruit tree layout.
A nursery professional can help you find the tree that can fit in almost any size yard! Visit your nearest location today and speak with one of our nursery pros. We will be glad to help you find the perfect trees so that you can get started on an edible garden today! We make it easy! How? We can do all the work so that you can come home to a beautiful new yard. Buy fruit trees at their fruit producing age, and you will not have to wait too long before you can eat a pesticide-free, juicy and tasty fruit grown in the comfort of your own yard!
Pecan: The Pecan tree is the state tree of Texas! We love to plant this tree. For one, a specimen size tree can provide a massive amount of shade. In Houston, the shade is a valuable commodity, and this tree delivers the goods. We cannot forget about the pecans this tree produces. Roasted, candied, or raw, the flavor of pecan is loved throughout the world. Plant one of these beautiful trees on your property and you can have a bounty of fresh pecans. With so many pecans, you may just become an expert at baking pecan pie!
Peach: Peach trees love the Houston climate! This is good news so that we can grow and enjoy the sweetest and juiciest peaches we can find. Make peach cobbler, bake a pie, or eat them whole. No matter which way you eat them, planting a peach tree in your backyard is sure to bring joy! The Mid Pride peach is an excellent choice for our area.
Plums: Stone fruit trees are a great choice for Houston and plum trees are a welcome addition. One of the best cultivars is the Santa Rosa Plum. This cultivar is described by many as being the best-tasting of all plums - one bite is all it takes! The Santa Rosa plum tree is self-pollinating. However, two is always better than one! These beautiful landscape trees produce showy flowers that add color and elegance to yards, too.
Apricots: Gold Kist and Katy apricots are top choices for the Houston area. One bite of these sweet and juicy fruits and it is easy to see why these are a favorite for eating straight off the tree. Make apricot preserves, can them, or enjoy dried apricots. They are a tasty treat no matter how you choose to eat them!
Persimmon: Plant a persimmon tree now so that you can enjoy the winter harvest of this amazing fruit! These fruit trees are very cold hardy, and persimmon offers many health benefits. A non-astringent variety such as Fuyu is an excellent choice. You can also find Diospyros texana, which is a variety that is native to Texas.
Plant fruit trees today and enjoy the tastes of the season!